A new samba band is starting up in Edinburgh and you are warmly invited to join!
We have a workshop weekend on the 19th & 20th of January 2013 10am-4pm both days.
Saturday 19th: The Forest D, Argyle House. Entrance on Castle Park Terrace (by farmers market), big glass doors.
Sunday 20th: Summerhall (Causewayside by the Meadows)
Keep Saturday night free for a banging party!
What is Rhythms of Resistance?
Essentially it’s a politically engaged samba band that organises non-hierarchically. We will rehearse together to play at fundraisers, demos, and to support whatever causes we like. Find a lot more information on the ROR network here.
Through the Forest Café we have a large rehersal space near the Grassmarket we can use for the January workshop and into the future. A group of more experienced drummers are coming up from the London ROR to help run it and teach us some basic rhythms. Very exciting!
The workshop will be over 2 days (Saturday and Sunday) and will include learning rhythms, conducting, discussions and decisions on how we organise. No problem if you can’t make both days, just get in touch so we can give you details about Sunday when we have them.
What do I need?
- Bring your lunch and snacks to share
- Any Samba instruments you have, including drumsticks, straps and beaters (we have stuff if you do not)
- A donation to help cover renting the rehearsal space
So, how can you get involved/help?
- Let us know if you want to come along to the workshop (nice to have a rough idea of numbers)
- Let us know if you are keen for a whole 2-day workshop or would prefer something shorter
- Do you know of any drums suitable for samba that we can borrow (do you already have your own drum?)
- Do you want to help in publicisiing it, via posters, email etc.
- Do you have suggestions about the content of the workshop?
- Do you need a crash space in Edinburgh that weekend?
And of course, generally spread the word!
Contact us by emailing: edinburgh.ror[at]riseup.net
You can find the latest details here 🙂